I don’t believe the use of abbreviations in texting is causing a problem with students learning proper grammer and spelling. In the same way that students use abbreviations with taking class notes, or a secretary who used to use shorthand, they are different languages used for different purposes. I think Greg Monfils makes a good point when he states, “We don’t fear that a Spanish class will diminish a student’s command of English.” (Monfils, 2007) This is true as well in the way we speak, we do not use the same formal conventions in our verbal language as in writing but it does not mean we cannot or do not learn the proper way to write.
My mother used to tell me, when she was teaching me table manners, that after I moved out and lived on my own I could eat any way I wanted, but while living in her house I would use good manners so I would at least know how. I believe writing is the same, that it is important that we know how to write well but not imperative we always do so.
Can chatspeak be annoying? Certainly, but that’s probably part of the attraction. So as usual, as educators, the burden of figuring out how to relate to and understand students falls on us. We’d better learn to join-em because we’re sure not going to beat-em.
Reference
Monfils, G. (2007, November). Is Chatspeak Destroying English? Learning and Leading with Technology , pp. 8-9.
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment